Refund is a special type of payment when money is transferred back to a buyer. Typically a refund is initiated as a consequence of an item return. It's also possible to issue a refund because of other reasons, without a return. Refund must be credited to the purchase medium used in the original purchase. In special situations, you may issue a refund to a new payment source. For example, if the buyer used a now-expired credit card for the purchase, you may issue the refund to a new credit card.
Creating a refund
To create a refund, you must have appropriate permission and the order must be in a status of Complete.
Steps to create refund:
- Open Orders module, select an Order from the list and open it.
- Click Refund button inside Summary tab.
- A 2-step wizard appears. Enter refund amount, select a refund option: original source or a new credit card:
- Fill all new credit card data if Refund to a new credit card was chosen.
- Click Next. In the next step of the wizard carefully recheck the payment data and click Submit to issue the payment.
- Payment data is processed and operation result is displayed shortly. If the transaction succeeded, the Back button disappears and Finish button gets enabled. All data is saved, a new payment is added to the list inside the order Payments tab. Click Finish. An example of successful transaction:
- A payment could fail because of various reasons. In such case the error message is displayed:
- Click Back to correct the payment data or Cancel to withdraw.