Product information management software (PIM management system). Product information management tools and solutions.
What is product information management? Product information management software meaning.
Product Information Management Software (PIM) is a solution that is used to market and sell various types of products via distribution channels. Product information management tools coordinate changing product information across all channels of communication, thus ensuring that a business’s entire ecosystem has consistent and up-to-date information. Wikipedia offers the following definition: “Product information management or PIM refers to processes and technologies focused on centrally managing information about products, with a focus on the data required to market and sell the products through one or more distribution channels”.
Without a centralized location for storing data, companies rely on tedious and time-consuming spreadsheet-based manual data management as their product information management solutions, which makes it virtually impossible to satisfy the increasing demands of ecommerce markets.
Product information management systems offer the concept of entering and storing the product information once in a single place. This place is the source from which that information is then distributed without needing to be re-entered manually into a number of different systems. There is no need to spread all across your data, as you can easily manage, consolidate and improve media websites, ERP systems, print catalogs, and data feeds by implementing useful product information management tools. Therefore, if your goal is to find a product information management system that is centralized, offers independent data maintenance and collection product information, management capabilities are the right fit for you!
Reasons for product information management solutions growth
Product information management tools are mostly used to keep customers, stakeholders, and partners informed about all the updates in product related information. After products and services are created and added to the catalog, the status of materials, equipment, suppliers, distributors, etc. can change, often multiple times. Product information management system will note these changes and communicate promptly to maximize efficiency and minimize the impact of changes on the sales cycle. Product information management software allows for faster time to market, increases operational efficiency, and promotes sales growth.
The concept behind PIM management (product information management) has gained its prominence around 2003 due to dramatic increase in the ecommerce market share and popularity of online stores.
The main reasons for PIM management rise in popularity were:
- The demand for clear product descriptions that could be easily understood by the consumers. When selling online companies need to collect and provide clear basic product information like the name of the product, its category and price. Without these the customers would simply not be able to find the product online to make a purchase.
- A wider range of products that can be offered online compared to physical retail stores. It is definitely hard to manage all of the product data in the spreadsheet and not go crazy. While it was still technically possible, as most online stores started offer thousands upon thousands of products, it is becoming increasingly challenging every day. On top of that, the products are now offered not just simply via a website, but also through a large number of other channels such as physical store catalogs, mobile phones and tablets, printed catalogs, etc. This kind of evolution has caused an increasing demand for specialized systems that would offer their users a convenient way to manage all this information even when it’s so widely distributed. The worldwide market for product sales and distribution is becoming more and more complex, as companies are striving to have multiple brands across multiple countries with varying price lists and local promotions, all while building their supplier and distributor networks that often consist of thousands of partners! It is now obvious that this scale of complexity that’s becoming prominent on the market can no longer be managed without having advanced processes and systems like PIM in place.
- The growing demand for better, more detailed, coherent and consistent product information. The rule of thumb is the more information you provide, the better the sales. A well-detailed product description is typically considered one of the most critical elements of an online store. When looking to purchase a product online, customers in most cases want to browse and compare multiple options, see details and know all the specifications before they make the final decision to buy. People also shop online for services, such as tickets or training courses for example and more consumers these days look to download their digital books or games as well. Additionally, as the technologies develop, the standards rise, too. Today’s customers would no longer accept a fuzzy picture - everyone wants to see good quality high resolution photos, videos and 3D models.
- The increased amount of legal information about the products’ manufacturing information, materials source etc. These days sellers are legally obliged to store more information about their products than they used to. For example, the source of the materials, details on how a product was manufactured and so on.
The product information management systems take the central position between various sources of product information and all the distribution channels that a PIM exports its data to.
What product information management is used for? Product information management definition.
Keeping product information accurate and up-to-date at all times is critical for ecommerce organizations – having full control over this aspect prevents companies from having outdated data have an impact on sales or customer experience.
Somewhere along the process certain materials used in manufacturing a product have been replaced by more advanced ones.
PIM will be able to make sure that all the related channels, such as product databases, information on the web sites, CRM systems, etc. have accurate information about the product including the most recent changes in the manufacturing process. In addition, product information management systems minimize delays on downstream processes when production conditions change, thus accelerating time to market and improving customer experience.
Besides being a relevant software for regular retailers and manufacturers, PIM management is also used for a wide range of products and their frequently changing characteristics, online business and electronic commerce. In order to exceed in providing the best service, product information management solutions must:
- Collect all the information from multiple separate sources into a single centralized one;
- Locate and eliminate problematic or damaged data;
- Offer automation of many e-commerce business data processes;
- Possess a search tool as well as a filtering tool;
- Work with effective search engine software;
- Manage product listings and organize them into categories;
- Promote and market products using retail, social media and sales channels.
There are many product information management tools with open source architecture that will help you create your data repository in no time and get your products to the right sales channels quickly. If you are able to get your data quickly you can pass it to all your retailers and marketplaces rapidly by utilizing product information management solutions.
Content gaps? With product information management software open source solutions you can measure the completeness of your product content, locate information gaps and perform changes to satisfy any of your company’s requirement or industry standard.
If your end goal is to provide your customers with the best customer experience, a PIM (product information management) system lets you match customer profiles with their preferences and with the product description. This allows for a personalized service and for increased conversion along with great customer experience. Some of the best trends and practices that good PIM (product information management) tools can offer are:
- Data quality: multiple organizations have already implemented PIM in their best practices. Now, however, the focus has shifted towards optimization of those large amounts of data.
- Template based product information management solutions: Multiple successful vendors offer their clients great templates to achieve faster implementations.
- 360 degrees product overview will satisfy the customers’ demands for the full view of the entire products.
- Cloud: Product data that can be stored in the cloud prevents you from unexpected data loss and increases the number of available data to the customer at a given moment.
In the end, while looking for your perfect product information management system, always consider your end goals and ways meeting them. This article helps you to discover the qualities that each PIM should possess. If you are striving for a successful ecommerce website, you must consider enriching your data with modern PIM (product information management) software.
Product information management solutions
What is unique about this product information management system is that it lets you have control over product stories across different retail platforms. No need to keep up with different upload processes – you can control the information in an organized fashion, chaos-free. The amount of time you will save is tremendous, and once you start using the software, you will realize how it helps in providing your product with integrity and consistency.
Salsify is prominent for incorporating PIM and DAM into one platform, alongside with robust features and capabilities for syndication. Salsify is also able to assess whether the content that you created for the web store is acceptable and how it can be improved upon the set requirements.
For the sales channels operated by the platform, there is a wide range of APIs and imports with exports that can be scheduled. The product information management software is specifically tailored to transmit data from and to any source and any system imaginable. While the data is being transmitted, the location of the content is completely visible to you and the platform maintains its safety. In addition, there is an option for the customers to create custom product catalogs, which can be used when downloading specific information about a product.
With Salsify, you do not have to worry about functionality updates and improvements. Being a Software as a Service (SaaS) platform, it enables machine learning algorithms to deliver the best experience to you. You will also be stunned by the scalability and the security features of the system that can meet the demand of global corporations like Coca Cola, Bosch, GSK, etc. Its elastic structure gives you peace of mind whether you have 100 or 100 million products to manage.
What is the benefit of using eJeeva compared to other product information management tools? The short answer is that it is a web-based system that allows you to manage product data from an integrated web database. With that, many other attributes can be easily accessed:
- Aggregate product data;
- Synchronization of data;
- Multichanneling publishing;
- Unlimited attributes and extensive list of taxonomies;
- Foundation for your data management framework;
Overall, eJeeva presents a solid product information management solution for your business and its extensive web-based features will certainly not disappoint you.
Some of the other notable features of the platform include:
- Extendable attributes for product catalogs, tailored toward Healthcare & Beauty, Food & Beverage categories;
- Out of the box GDSN connectivity with the ability to work with or without and already existing PIM/MDM deployment.
- Precise access control with the unique API, that can give or deny permissions at multiple levels.
- Syndication of data with the internal parties that do not have PIM deployment.
- Rich data channels for formatting to suit the requirements of any data recipient that is hooked to the system.
- Customer experience engine that delivers analytics right to you. ProfiseeOne of the most consistent product information management solutions out there. No matter, if you are a system administrator or a data steward, this platform provides a consistent user experience to you. With Profisee you will be also able to create batch integrations, and move data in an out of the web stores in big numbers. Even though there will be huge transmissions of data, you can rest assured that all data will be secured.
Profisee a product information management solutions that is secure, flexible as well as powerful, which makes it easy to promote it across higher environments and automate it on a manual basis.CatalogStudioCatalogStudio is a browser-based product information management software. It offers multichannel catalog publishing, ecommerce integration, vendor portals and product marketing. Questudio the developer of this software is a large provider of solutions for vendors, manufacturers, distributors, and catalogers, which makes it easy to manage product content in the most efficient way and deliver robust product content to the customers across the world while integrating into multiple selling channels simultaneously.
With this PIM, it has never been easier to organize media and PDFs, and to aggregate content successfully. CatalogStudio allows catalog content normalization, as well as serves as an overall well-rounded solution for all industries.InRiverInRiver is there when you need to transfer any type of product information to virtually any channel that you may have, which can include ecommerce stores, catalogs, mobile devices, in-store point of sale systems and much more. With the product information management system, you can even transfer online-only information, like customer testimonials, comments and reviews in order to use them in other spheres of retail business.
Some of the most stunning features have been implemented into the inRiver platform:
Oracle Product Information ManagementOracle’s product information management solutions can help you create a central repository for any of your business’ product data: supplier information, as well as individual channel information. Oracle presents a great solution for enterprises and is one of the most widely used platforms across the web. This PIM software is tailored mainly for B2C work - sharing product info between the members of the company, as well as business partners and suppliers. Some of the most crucial features include the ability to comply with any industry regulations before selling and to secure the information about your product and share it with others in your company.
- Suitable for both B2B and B2C retailers;
- Ideal for any business that has to manage large amounts of online product data across multiple sales channels with lots of consumer participation;
- Robust amount of extensions for stores that were built on Magento;
- In-platform tools that increase your flexibility when it comes to product information management;
- Tools to enhance the quality of information and to rid of errors;
- Improved search capabilities;
- Planner app to help you create a publishing strategy for your content, launch it across the web stores, and create future campaigns and promotions.
- Seamless management of data across all of the channels.
The platform can be easily scaled, which is why many big enterprises started to move to it. It is a well-rounded solution that gives you a great view of the product data and room for digital transformation within the company.
Oracle can give you a better inventory accuracy and product output, by connecting information from manufacturers, suppliers, retailers, service providers and customers. This platform will help reduce production costs, enhance the security of your information and make your system run faster. With Oracle PIM you will be able to create and handle the intricacies of product information and apply specialized techniques to your data.Hybris SoftwareIf you want to get a comprehensive overview of all your products and customer data, there is no better product information management solution than Hybris. It helps you centralize all data in one view and allow for better analysis. You will be able to access information in real time using internal and external data sources, offline and online channels and extensive sorting feature list. The feature list includes the ability to work with user-generated content across various devices. It also allows for unique chanelling product placements on different websites and has the extensive list of built-in search engine optimization tools.
If you’re looking to sell on the worldwide markets, the platform is there to offer seamless conversion between currencies with the inclusion of all of the intricacies of various markets.AgilityAgility is a PIM management solution that can be tailored specifically to any organizational need or individual role. Agility multi-channeling can provide you with dynamic workflows, streamline the process of managing product information, enrich the content and rid it of errors. Built-in tools for integration make the platform easy to scale as well as gather info about the products. Agility works well for B2C and B2B vendors who have a need to customize and improve the data.
If you want visibility for your performance and financial data, you would benefit from using Agility. Some of the most prominent features include easy integration with existing ecommerce systems, automation of every step of the process, real-time financial analytics and performance reports, content auditing and content history.
Product information management software by Virto Commerce
Product descriptions, related assets, SEO, prices, inventory, cross-sell and upsell, shipping and fulfillment options, to name a few; can be stored and managed in Virto Commerce product information management system. For more complex enterprise ecommerce product information management solutions information can be gathered from multiple sources by integrating with EPR, WMS, PMI and other corporate systems.>
Our product information management software provides sophisticated catalog management capabilities making it easy and fast to work with even the most complex B2C and B2B product lists.
Manage digital and physical products’ categories, images, and descriptions with flexible properties structures, making your data consistent across all channels. Virto Commerce catalog can be configured to handle all your catalog information, or integrated with 3rd party PIM or CMS solutions. All digital assets can be stored in any popular Content Distribution Network (CDN). You can manage your catalog’s product categories, images, and descriptions from one place, making your data consistent across all channels.
For a global business, the platform and its product information management software support multiple catalogs, languages, taxes and storefronts.
Product information management system features
Use the Virto Commerce product information management tools to run multiple stores with their customized product catalogs from within a single platform. Our Product Information Management system allows you to:
- Manage all stores from one central location or individually by store.
- Share product information across multiple stores and set a specific product assortment for each store.
- Handle multiple stores with different language localizations and currencies.
- Configure each store with unique options for payment, taxes, shipping, etc.
Physical and Digital products
Virto Commerce Product Information Management System (PIM) allows you to provide high-quality product information to a variety of sales channels. All the published product info can be easily located within the PIM management tools, accessed and changed from a single place. All changes made at any time will be applied across all your sales channels.
Manage your Inventory List, Product details, Product history, etc. effortlessly from one location!
Each product page can be configured to include:
- multiple images;
- weight, pack sizes and other variants;
- buy price;
- multiple pricelists such as wholesale and retail;
- sellable and taxable options;
- SKU code and supplier code;
Personalized B2B catalogs
Make buying experience customizable and unique for every B2B partner. With the Virto Commerce’s product information management software you can enable filtering in your product catalog based on vendors, so each buyer’s experience will be locked down to them specifically.
Adjust composite variants and incorporate negotiated pricing. Offer proprietary kits and bundles or different tiers of product and pack sizes.
External linked catalogs
Easily access product data from external systems like ERP, or any other third party system you might be working with. Incorporate multi-vendor catalogs with minimum hassle.
No-database (NoSQL) catalogs
Prefer a more scalable and better performing NoSQL to traditional relational model catalogs? We got you covered! No-database catalogs help support:
- Agile sprints and frequent code pushes.
- Large volumes of constantly changing structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data.
- Flexible and easily scalable architecture.
Product Information Management Software Screenshots
Best product information management system intergrationsKlarna Checkout Europe payment gateway
Enhancedby Virto CommerceAPIs and UI for Klarna Checkout Europe payment gateway.FreeZapier integration module
Enhancedby Virto CommerceAPIs for syncing with Zapier.FreeStripe integration module
Enhancedby Virto CommerceStripe is the best software platform for running an internet business. Stripe integration module allows you to create beautiful payment flows, write less code and keep webstore transactions secure.FreeBest articles from our product information management glossaryWhat is an SKU? SKU definition and meaningThe SKU abbreviation stands for Stock Keeping Unit. It is a term commonly used in retail, specifically when talking about inventory and product information management.Read more...What is a dead stock? Dead stock definitionThe dead stock definition in product information management solutions is essentially a stock of products that are not likely to ever leave the shelves. A common mistake of your retail businesses is not doing anything to get rid of their dead stock,Read more...What is a backorder? Backorder definitionFirst of all, let’s establish a backorder definition – what does back order mean? Assume your business is doing well. Actually, it’s doing fantastic! The sales are so great you start struggling to keep up with the demand. How do you address this?Read more...